Pupils every year
St Mulumba Primary School - Kamuli
Number of pupils : 426 (216 boys & 210 girls)
School Motto : Nothing Stops God’s Will
This is a government day primary school built in the 1970s, on land donated by the Catholic Church. In 2010 the community bought extra land to provide a playing field, so the school now owns approximately 6 acres. The school serves a number of small villages, with most parents trying to support themselves growing maize, following the collapse of the coffee industry, which had previously brought relative prosperity to the area.
We first visited this school in 2011 when the head mistress was Immaculate Zikoosuka, a lovely, wise lady, an excellent leader and very popular within the local community. She was posted to the school in 2009 and raised the academic results and managed to secure additional government teachers.
When she arrived there were two main buildings: two classrooms built in 2004 by the government that required renovation. Another 5 classroom block, plus an office and storeroom, all were built by the community over a number of years, which were in desperate need of renovation. Jiggers were prevalent as the floors were unscreeded, several classrooms didn’t have lintels, so the roof could easily have collapsed in a storm. Also windows and doors were missing.
The existing 5 latrines for the pupils and staff were unhygienic and not safe. There were no teachers’ houses at the school. Teachers were walking many kilometres twice each day, including the head teacher who lived 4 kilometres away. Time wasted that could be spent on preparing and marking lessons.
Immaculate retired in 2018 and her deputy Cotilda took over the headship. Since 2012 HvSMF has completed many projects at the school and hopefully, funds permitting, we will be able to continue to support this school, enrolment will increase and the academic results improve.
What's been done so far?
- Renovation 5 x classrooms inc head teacher’s office and Bursar’s office
- Construction of 4 x teachers’ houses
- Construction of 4 x teachers’ latrines and 2 x teachers’ washrooms
- Construction of 8 x girls’ latrines
- Supply of 2 x 20,000 litre ISSB water tanks
- Supply of 35 x 3-seater desks
- Supply of school sign
- Supply of textbooks remove
- Supply of textbooks
- Supply of textbooks
- Supply of solar panel package
- Supply of 40 x 3-seater desks
- Construction of 8 x boys’ latrines
- Renovation of 2 x classrooms
- Supply of musical instruments
- Supply of sports equipment
- Renovation of 5 x boys’ latrines
- Supply of staff furniture package
- Supply of Staff furniture package
5 classrooms plus offices requiring renovation
5 boys latrines needing renovation
2 classroom block requiring renovation
Renovated 5 classrooms plus offices
8 x new boys’ latrines and the renovated 5 boys’ latrines
Renovated 2 classroom block with staffroom added