St Mulumba Namunyumya Mixed Primary School - Iganga

School Motto:  To produce self reliant and well disciplined Citizens

St Mulumba’s Primary School is situated in a poverty stricken corner of Iganga District. The region relies heavily on coffee and almost a decade of poor harvests, as a result of pests, has crippled the local economy.

The school was founded by Catholic missionaries in the 1930s to accommodate around 200 children. Since then the local population has quadrupled and over 1000 children now attend the school .

In 2006, thanks to the support of Queen Elizabeth Grammar School Penrith, Trinity Hall College Cambridge, Jesus College Cambridge and Raazik Gatrad, we built a new four classroom block at the school with an office and store room.  The community donated over 20,000 bricks to help with this project, no easy task, which shows just how committed the community are to developing their school. 

Completed projects have included:

  • Construction of 4 new classrooms - 2006
  • A new office and store room - 2006
  • Renovation of classroom into library- 2009
  • Renovation of the Old School Block - 2011
  • Renovation of the Library Block - 2011
  • Provision of 40 x 3-seater desks - 2011
  • Construction of 4 x teachers’ houses - 2011
  • Construction of 8 x boys’ latrines - 2011

At the beginning of 2009 the National Federation of Retail Newsagents, London District, very kindly donated money raised in a raffle and we transformed a classroom into a library for the school, part of the now named Library block. (see photo to the right).  Also two Africa & Asia Venture gap year volunteers, Tara Acland and Chloe Crisp, kindly donated the window shutters and the shelves for the books.

At the opening ceremony in March 2010, Mr Herbert Silver, the head master, said “St Mulumba’s is one of the schools in the District that received a Certificate of Recognition for their ourstanding performance in the Primary exams of December 2009.  This has been due to the support of the HvSMF and we are indeed grateful for that.  The Staff and I promise that we shall always forge ahead for better and better performance in all sectors”.

Thanks to the support of our patron, Prince Harry and German publisher, BILD "Ein Herz Fur Kinder", we have been able to renovate the large Old School Block which was built in the 1930s.  The roof was leaking, the floors needed re-cementing, the veranda had worn away and doors and windows needed replacing.  This was a huge project and the renovated building now comprises 2 boys’ dormitories, 3 classrooms, an office and a storeroom.  See before and after pictures.

BILD also supported the further renovation of the library block.  Here, four more classrooms desperately needed repair work, in order to bring them up to the standard of the library.  They then also donated 40 new 3-seater desks for the growing number of pupils. See right

In Uganda, schools are expected to provide their staff with living accommodation. Schools that cannot do so are unable to recruit or retain the best teachers and, as such, struggle to deliver quality education to their pupils. Thanks to six girls raising funds in a London half marathon in 2010, we have been able to give the school 4 new teachers’ houses.  See below:

Thanks to Charlotte Macpherson who raised funds in the 2011 London Marathon we have also been able to give the school 8 boys’ latrines.

The school has good academic results, hard-working staff and a dedicated head teacher, so we would hope to continue with more projects as soon as funds become available.

 

Head Teacher:  Mr Herbert Silver

Number of Pupils in March 2013: 1040