Muguluka Primary School
This is a large primary school with over 1000 pupils and 8 acres of land. It was founded by the Church of Uganda in 1946 and it is on the main Jinja – Kamuli road, just outside the local trading centre of Buwenge. They call themselves a centre / community school as they have a large main hall block where musical entertainment, debates, conferences, workshops and seminars are held for the benefit of the neighbouring community. The school has a well run School Management Committee and Parent Teacher Association, and is supported by parents, pupils and the entire community.
As you will see from the photograph to the right, the main hall block was greatly in need of renovation and thanks to a large donation from the AV Foundation (AVF) - www.avfoundation.org - during 2012, we were able to completely renovate the building. We are extremely grateful to them for their donation. See photo right.
Thus, completed projects include:
One water tank was donated by the AVF and the other was donated by Emma Bonham from funds raised at race night to celebrate her birthday. Emma was herself an AV volunteer in Kenya in 2000. Both these tanks will make a huge difference to the school.
We are also extremely grateful to Howard and Sheila Guard who entertained guests with an opera evening in their garden in Hertfordshire in2012 and raised sufficient funds to renovate the 2 classrooms and the head teacher’s office. They also funded the re-connecting of the electricity supply to the office. The head master, Patrick Kakoko, is very grateful for their donation.
The next stage is to demolish the existing staff accommodation and construct new houses as the majority of the present buildings are in very bad condition. Also, the present latrines, are fairly dire and there is an extreme shortage for the number of pupils. We would like to help this school again in the near future.
Head Teacher: Mr Patrick Kakoko