Bugulumbya Primary School
School Motto: Education is Power
This is a large school which started in 1924 under the Church of Uganda. It later became Government aided in 1948. The Government constructed two classroom blocks in 1955 and a third block in 2003. Since then the school has received no outside assistance. It has a management committee which is very co-operative and has managed to sustain this rural based primary school up to date. The parents managed to construct a 4 classroom block in 1987 and a 6 classroom block in 1998. Neither are of a high standard. They are all in a very poor state of repair, no cement on the floors, no plaster on the walls, no windows, no doors, blackboards that are full of holes. All very depressing
Teachers’ houses are a problem, there being 3 blocks of 2 houses, that are seriously dilapidated. There is also a lack of working latrines. This school is desperate for assistance.
In 2012, thanks to a donation from The Jephcott Charitable Trust, we have completely refurbished the 6 classroom block, which contains the girls’ dorm and offices [See photo to the right]. The trust also donated 8 x girls’ latrines and 40 x 3-seater desks. Thus, completed projects have included:
The boys’ latrines were donated by Harry and Katie Giradot, who raised funds running in a half marathon. We are very grateful to them.
We hope to be able to help this school further in 2013/14, with further renovation of classrooms and some new teachers’ houses, plus teachers’ latrines and washrooms. Hopefully, with our support, the school will improve its academic record and we expect good results.
Head Teacher: Mr Wilson Ndimukika
Number of pupils in March 2012: 1339